Search This Blog

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Where Does the Story Begin?

Maybe it was that Sunbeam juicer my MIL bought in the 70's so my very picky eater would get more veggies in his diet. Or was it the small paperback book my SIL gave me to go with the juicer that documented a healing from cancer with green juices.  Sadly, the juicer was a pain to prep for and then clean, it stalled out frequently, my son didn't like the juice, and it seemed like a huge waste of produce on our limited budget.  The juicer and I soon parted and eventually, the book disappeared from our shelves, but every so often I would think about the impact green juice had on cancer and wonder what special powers it had over just eating vegetables.

In the summer of 2014, Danny Vierra of Modern Manna, posted entries on FaceBook about his juice fast using a Breville Juicer.  It was the weight loss that held appeal but knowing my failure rate with Weight Watchers, how could drinking just juice keep the hunger pangs away for 5 days, much less 30?  So why should I even think about buying an expensive juicer even it was the most amazing gadget I had seen next to my Vitamix?

One very warm Sunday in mid-September, the movie Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead made it's appearance on my laptop screen.  I can't tell you how or why or what link put me at Joe Cross' site but I was mesmerized by the documentary and each and every success story posted on his site.  It was then and there that I wanted to find out if green juices could heal my immune and respiratory system to prevent the frequent bouts of bronchitis I have experienced since moving to the WE(s)T side of the Cascades.

I mentioned Joe Cross' movie online to a vegan friend and not long afterwards, she drew my attention to a Breville sale at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  With a store only 2 miles to the north, how could I not check it out.  My DH enabled me and I came home with one.

I made friends with the juicer by substituting at least one meal a day a couple of days a week.  But during our damp cold winters, I couldn't face an extended juice fast until the weather warmed up.  The perfect opportunity came up when an email from Juicing Radio announced the opportunity for a juice fast with support from some the of the juicing greats in a special FaceBook group.  I was accepted so now the story will really begin.    

No comments:

Post a Comment